Monday 13 October 2014

More Dome Cutting & Servo Mounts


Have now managed to cut out all the inner panels that were not pre-cut including the top circle. (I haven't done the MP panel yet as I am waiting for it to arrive to see how it fits.)


I first aligned the domes as best I could and used a permanent marker and a washer to draw a line about 4mm in from the outer dome edge on each panel to be cut.

After separating the domes I started on the square panels.  I used the dremel to cut a small sit in each edge - I then just used my hacksaw to cut the panel out.



With a bit of filing, sanding and wire wool it's pretty easy to get the holes nice and even and smooth.

With the 2 tiny panels I spot drilled the small edges as they are too small for the dremel.



I then put the appropriate ultimate hinge up to each hole to see if it would fit - the 2 tiny panels needed a bit more work but nothing major.

The three identical lower panels were too small for the hinges though - as another member did I just widened the top part to allow the hinge to pass - looks ok, but I may widen the whole thing later so its more even.

It was then onto the top circle which I was dreading!  Turned out pretty easy though, just used my dremel with a cutting disc and did several passes around until I got through  Best to clamp the dome down and use both hands on the dremel to steady it I found!  Then as with other panels I used files, sand paper and wire wool to even it out.





And that's all the big cutting done. I gave the inside of the inner dome a quick polish as well before starting to mount the hinges.

I then started to think about mounting the hinges using the captive studs.

I used a scrap piece of aluminium to test it first.  Drilled a 7/64 hole as suggested - I don't have a countersink tool, so just used a large metal drill and by hand just cut a makeshift countersink.  Seems to work well as it leaves a rough surface perfect for the stud to latch onto.

Attached the hinge and tightened the nut - all seems good. Time to try it on the dome.



Spent a good amount of time ensuring the hinge was perfectly lined up then marked one of the holes.

Drilled one hole and countersunk and attached the hinge - once aligned again I drilled the 2nd hole and attached the 2nd fixing.  All worked well though one hinge is slightly off, I think for the others it'll be more accurate to align the hinge and just drill the first hole with it in place rather than marking it as the tolerance for error is very small.





Managed to get three hinges mounted and pretty chuffed with the progress!

I do however have a few issues with the 2 domes not quite aligning properly but more on that another day!


No comments:

Post a Comment