Wednesday 29 October 2014

Panels finished, some programming and mounting electronics

Have managed to make some good progress the last week. I have firstly finished mounting all the hinges and panels.  Some of them still need some fine tuning but am pretty happy. 

Next up was mounting some of the electronics boards.  To start with I need an arduino uno, an adafruit servo controller, a power converter and the slip ring board.  I plan to run all power from 12v batteries in the body.  With all the gadgets I have planned I know room in the dome will be tight so my main objective is to keep everything as compact as i can.  

I got some simple pcb mounting feet and will mount some boards directly to the dome with captive studs and some bits on a plastic board.

First up was the servo board.  I mounted this on a plastic board which I then mounted to the dome.  To make the feet mounts fit to the contour of the dome I just shaved a bit off the outer edges.



Next up was the arduino, I just mounted this to the dome directly with the feet and chose to put it directly above the front PSI. 


I decided to mount the slip ring dome board (from glynharper) and power converter (from Chris) together.  I made a quick mount using plastic board and a cut down piece of mini trunking.




I then mounted it to the dome using the same captive studs as before, and again shaving the feet to fit the contour of the dome.


Next up a temporarily connected it all up and wrote some basic code.

I have an arduino mega adk that will eventually go in the body that has a blutooth dongle.  This is then connected to the arduino in the body and the servo controller using I2C. 

I am powering both Arduino's with 12v and the servo board with 5v (though I have read that 6v is better so may change this).

I have written some test code for the body arduino that enables me to receive commands from a playstation3 move navigation controller. The button presses then send an I2C command across the network to the dome arduino.

I then wrote some code for the dome arduino that receives the I2C command and moves the servos.

The code is a bit buggy but for now it proves the servos all work at least.

I plan to write most scripts myself and will post them up when they are more complete and reliable.

Anyway, here's a quick video...






No comments:

Post a Comment